Finance Support Officer
Are you accurate and do you like to process financial data? Do you have knowledge of international budgeting and financial management of programmes? Would you like to make a difference by supporting an organisation that has an impact? Then Simavi is looking for you!
Powerful women, healthy societies. We strive for a world in which all women and girls enjoy their human rights to water and sanitation, resulting in healthy and just societies. By joining Simavi you will create a stage for millions of girls and women raising their voice to demand climate and social justice.
How do we work?
Simavi is an agile organisation, giving everybody the space and responsibility to contribute to our goals. We are organized in Circles, each of it having a clear purpose and responsibilities (Programmes Circles, Finance and Operations, etc.). Our five core values lie at the basis of everything we do: just, sustainable, empowering, inspiring, connecting. We believe in feminist leadership principles and are committed to shift the power closer to action, to our partners and the communities we work with.
In this role, you will work with the Programmes Circle and reports to Director of Programmes. You will also works closely together with the (Senior) financial controller(s). This role can be base in the Netherlands or in one of the country were we are active (Bangladesh, Nepal, Uganda or Kenya).
Purpose of the role
The Financial Support Officer contributes to the financial set up and monitoring of the Simavi programmes and projects. You will support the Programme staff (based in 7 countries) in developing and realising accurate, timely and comprehensive budgets for Simavi programmes and projects, cash flow forecasts and monitoring of their (financial) progress and results. You will monitor, perform checks on programmes, give advice and support to the Programme staff (in all our countries) and contributes to the improvement of financial processes around programmes.
Your result areas
- Financial support to programme officers / managers on programe development and implementation
- Support and advise Programme staff on budget creation, on (financial) assessment and monitoring of partner organisations and on new and existing programmes and projects
- Review the adherence to and the quality of the (financial) reporting and audit reports by partner organisations and advise the Programme staff on actions/measures to be taken
- Assist in preparing financial reports to back donors
- Monitoring, assessment and reporting for programme implementation circle
- Collect financial data for the preparation of proposals, periodic and ad hoc reporting, analysis, liquidity forecasts and budgets; on behalf of internal or external stakeholders
- Financial analysis and assessment of programmes and project proposals including revenues, spendings and cash flow forecasts
- Check the correctness and approve payments to partners according to the set procedures and guidelines
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc checks by the external auditor on programmes and projects
- Organisational support
- Detect any bottlenecks in workprocesses and/or financial systems; make suggestions for improvement, develop standards to optimize work processes and take appropriate actions.
- Act as a key user for the management information system on programmes (Pluriform/ProjectConnect), especially on the financial field
- Facilitate capacity building and expert knowledge in financial administration and control on partner level
- Provide training to colleagues on drafting and managing budgets, the management information system, AO/IC and internal procedures.
What you bring
- HBO level of education
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience in a similar position
- Experience in preparing budgets for funding applications to different donors
- Knowledge and understanding of international finance, accounting, budgeting and the financial management of programmes
- You stand your ground and know how to provide and receive feedback in a positive way.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Affinity with the concept of “ Shift the power” (decolonization) of processes and responsibilities
- Affinity with feminist leadership principles
What do we offer?
An exciting and challenging position in an international working environment. Besides a fun and healthy working environment (e.g. 36 hours work week, weekly bootcamp, yearly team outing, weekly international coffee time with colleagues abroad, trainings), we are an equal opportunity employer meaning we don’t discriminate in our hiring practices and we actively seek a diverse applicant pool.
If you are based in the Netherlands, we offer a contract for 12 months for 32 hours per week with possible extension. The salary we offer depends on the years of working experience you bring along and will be within the salary range of € 2536,- and € 3576,- gross per month for 32 hours per week (i.e. € 2853,- and € 4024 gross per month on a fulltime basis of 36 hours per week). The position in the salary scale depends on the number of relevant years of working experience. Furthermore, part of our terms of employment are: 5 weeks vacation per year, 8% holiday allowance, mobile phone allowance, commuting allowance (as of the first km), a pension insurance and a disability insurance.
If you are based outside of the Netherlands, we offer a consultancy agreement of 1 year. The salary range will depend on the country and the number of relevant years of working experience. We will only consider the application from candidates based in one of the following countries : The Netherlands, Bangladesh, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda.
Our office is located at Naritaweg 135, which is a 5 minutes’ walk from train station Amsterdam Sloterdijk. We also work hybrid, with the possibility to work 2 days in the office, and the rest for home.
How to apply?
Do you recognise yourself in the profile and do you want to contribute to Simavi’s mission and vision? Please upload your motivation letter and resume (in English, max. 4 pages) before 12th of December via the application button.
Is this not your challenge? Support Simavi by sharing this vacancy with your network!
The procedure will consist in 2 interviews, a reference check, a case study and a Certificate of Conduct.